Medical abortion is another name for early abortion which is non-invasive and is caused by a combination of two types of drugs – misoprostol and mifepristone. This offers a substitute to surgery, but only to those women who are pregnant for less than a period of nine weeks.
• When you don’t wish to be pregnant (elective abortion)
• When the baby developing in your womb has a genetic issue or birth defect
• When the pregnancy resulted out of some traumatic incident, such as incest or rape
• When the pregnancy proves to be harmful for your health (Therapeutic medical abortion)
Medical abortion can be performed as soon as it is detected in an ultrasound. However, you are advised to discuss everything openly with your doctor or counselor before the procedure.
Following are some tests that need to be done to confirm your pregnancy for medical abortion:
• A blood test called HCG
• Pelvic examination to confirm your weeks of pregnancy
• Abdominal or vaginal ultrasound can be done to identify the location of the fetus in your womb and its exact age.
• Another blood test to know your blood type.
Based on the result of your test, your doctor may recommend a specific shot if you get pregnant again so as to avoid any complications. The shot is called Rho (D) Immune Globulin.
Since a successful pregnancy is dependent upon the high levels of hormone progesterone, the pill called Mifepristone is given in the first place which blocks the progress of hormone progesterone to make miscarriage possible in the early stage of your pregnancy.
Next, the Misoprostol pills will be given to you 6 hours, 24 hours and 48 hours after the first pill. It will result in the contraction of your womb and you’ll experience cramping and bleeding after your pregnancy is terminated.
There will be a follow-up appointment with the doctor where an ultrasound test may be done to confirm the abortion.
So far, medical abortion has proven to be successful in 98% of the cases, but in case the abortion is not confirmed - the doctor may recommend surgical termination.
In addition to this, complete rest is requested for the next 48 hours.
Refrain from smoking or drinking alcohol
The doctor may prescribe anti-inflammatory drug to ease pain.
Refrain any physical activity until the bleeding ends.
Risk and Complications
• Persistent bleeding
• Tissues of pregnancy not completely passing from your body, making incision necessary
Benefits of medical abortion:
• No need of anesthesia
• Extremely low risk of maternal death
• The abortion is possible at home too
• It is less stressful and clinical than surgical abortion
• It doesn’t need a surgeon and therefore is possible for women living at distant places
book appointment with Abortion Surgery
GET COST ESTIMATE with Abortion Surgery
India Health Help is a holistic medical tourism platform that offers to patients from around the world a chance to access some of best medical services in India. With access to the best hospitals, diagnostic centres, multi-speciality facilities and super-specialist medical expertise, we channel the right patient to the right medical solution for quick, effective and affordable recovery.